Types of Acne Treatment Products
1. Antibacterial – These are synthetic or natural chemicals that kill acne-causing bacteria. By killing the bacteria, you reduce the chances of inflammation and infection of the pores.
2. Keratolytic/Comedolytic – These are products that exfoliate or peel dead skin cells. They also open and drain the pores thus avoiding pore clogging.
3. Anti-Androgenic – Medications that reduce the oil excretion rate of the sebaceous glands by regulating certain hormones. In the case of megadose B5, the oil output of the oil gland is regulated by coenzyme.
4. Anti-Inflammatories – They are specially useful for inflammatory acne because they reduce the redness and swelling of infected pimples.
5. Bioactives (Cell repair,antioxidants,etc.) – These products are mostly vitamins and minerals that accelerate wound healing and protect the skin from free radical damage.
What is the Best Anti-Acne Product?
The effectiveness of a specific acne medication varies from person to person. The best acne treatment product should address all the causes of acne. This would mean that the ideal acne solution should have antibacterial, keratolytic, anti-androgenic, anti-inflammatory and cell repair characteristic. An effective topical anti-androgenic product is still not yet available. For practicality reasons, it would be sufficient for an excellent acne solution to just posses antibacterial, keratolytic, anti-inflammatory and cell repair characteristic. Since there is no single anti-acne product that can do all those stuffs, you can just combine some of them. It is important to note that different anti-acne products may be incompatible when combined.
Notable anti-acne products for each category are listed below:
Antibacterials – (Benzoyl Peroxide, Azelaic Acid)
Keratolytics – (AHA,BHA, Tretinoin)
Anti-Inflammatory – (Topical Niacinamide, Copper-Peptide)
Bioactives (Cell Repair) – (Topical Ascorbic acid, Copper-Peptide)
For severe acne:
Antibacterial – (Oral antibiotics) Keratolytic/Antiandrogenic – (Oral Isotretinoin)
The Best Remedies for Acne Combo
Research shows that multi-therapy acne treatment works better than conventional monotherapy. Multi-therapy involves the use of several anti-acne medicines in such a way that they would complement each other. The synergistic action of these acne medications result in reduced side effects, faster healing times of acne lesion and lower P. acnes bacterial population compared to monotherapy. We have presented a list of products that works best in multi-therapy.
Click the links below for more information about the specific acne treatment combo.
1. Retinoic Acid (Tretinoin) + Copper Peptide
2. Retinoic Acid (Tretinoin) + Topical Niacinamide
3. Salicylic Acid + Topical Niacinamide
4. Salicylic Acid + Copper Peptide
5. Azelaic Acid + Topical Niacinamide
6. Azelaic Acid + Copper Peptide
7. Benzoyl Peroxide + Topical Niacinamide
8. Alpha Hydroxy Acid + Niacinamide or Copper Peptide
Useful Health Websites and References: